Thursday, October 15, 2009

Superwoman? Nah, just quick to adjust

Whoever said “You can have it all, just not all at once” underestimated the power of women.  I'm a wife, mom, and working professional - and even though there are days I wish I had a clone to pick up where I leave off, I wouldn't trade it for the world.  When the norm is to go in 5 directions at once, you have to be organized, resourceful and able to change strategy mid-execution.  Have a plan, and plan to change it.  This has never rung as true as it does for me at this stage in my life.

Just today, I had planned to leave the house promptly by 7:25 to catch the train to Chicago for an 8:30 arrival to the office.  I awoke early, showered, and was getting myself together when my 2 1/2 year old son, James, woke up.  Shaun, my husband, who works out in the morning, was about to get in the shower.  James wasn't quite ready to be awake so we read Curious George while rocking.  Somehow, I managed to get him dressed.  I think "The firemen coming to school today think your outfit is awesome" helped.  Thinking the edge had been taken off his morning reluctance, I proceeded to take him to the kitchen.  Surprise!  Dog poop on the livingroom floor.  Finally in the kitchen, we prepared his morning juice (+ laxative, poor kid), which he wanted to stir and spill all over his hair and the floor.  He had a meltdown when I put his Lightening McQueen spoon in the sink.  I then told him we needed to go up to the bathroom so I could get ready. "I'll stay here."  Hmmm, okay, time to get creative... the spoon came with us and all was good.

However, it is now 7:20 and I have no makeup (or pants) on and my hair is still wet.  Responding to my frustration my husband says, "The train's not until 7:45, right?"  "Right."  Needless to say, I watched the train speed by while sitting at a stoplight about 1/4 of a mile from the station.  Deep breath.  Take it all in stride.  I'm often reminded of the Serenity Prayer and try so hard to not blow up over things I can't control... it is what it is.

I made it to the office eventually and had a very productive day only to come home to the dog running out the door, my husband yelling after her and James with no pants on standing in the doorway to greet me.  That little guy makes it all worth it and reminds me the little things are not worth getting upset over... there is too much good that comes along with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment